My concentration was based on fashion. I chose fashion to be my concentration because fashion is a distinctive and often habitual trend. There are many constructive ways to create Fashion. It can be crazy, humorous, or casual. Some of my sculptures are more casual, and some are more abstract and fun. I chose fashion because i like how fashion speaks to a person. It describes how fun and outgoing a person can be. I can play around with fashion in every way.
The work in my concentration all relates to fashion, in many different ways. In images 2 and 3 I started off with more abstract pieces. On my other pieces i focused more into wearable pieces. In image 10, i created something more abstract and fun to wear. I used mirrors to fill in the top and added a crazy skirt. On the other hand on sculpture number 12 i created a more classy wedding dress. Something you see more at a fashion store, or see someone wear on a regular basis.
Score (on a 6-point scale)4
Rationale for Score
The work in this section demonstrates:
- A close relationship between the topic and the work. The student’s interest in “abstract and fun” fashion is clearly connected to the choice of materials, the processes, and the designs (images 6, 7, 8).
- Some clear decision making and discovery. The works are designed with clarity: the sections of the forms are decisively organized to activate space and create a sense of movement (images 3, 6).
- Some originality and innovative thinking. By combining materials like cardboard, toothpicks and paper (images 2 and 8), the student shows a good ability to explore unexpected solutions to design problems in their concentration.
- A good application of 3-D design principles. Some examples include the variety of textures in image 8; the unification of form through similar color and materials (also image 8); the emphasis on the diagonals and the asymmetrical balance in image 7; the contrast between circular and planar forms in image 12; the repetition of cards and bills in image 3; the proportional relationship between smaller glass pieces and larger paper forms in image 10.
- Some growth. The sequence of images shows a progression toward more ambitious and fully realized works. They move from exercises in design (images 3, 4, 5) to dresses designed with more intention as wearable artwork (images 6, 7, 8).
- Good technical competence. The works appear to be well planned and constructed. With some works, however, the techniques and the articulation of ideas do not work as well together (images 2, 7, 10).