My concentration revolves around nostalgia and the memories and thoughts it creates. Using different styles, such as graffiti and mixed media, I represent myself by painting past life happenings through the use of hands. My favorite materials include acrylic paints, along with mixed media elements, such as ink, pens, nails, and string. My concentrations goal is to show the real me to the beholders of my paintings and illustrate my life through abstraction.
Everything is interconnected in our world. My concentration focuses on bringing emotional subject matters into play with abstract hands. Hands are a representation of similarity and connections; therefore, my hands harmonize my feelings and emotions with daily stressors or events throughout my life. For example, image 9 represents the death of my former guinea pig, Chestnut. The various colors that remind me of him are used in the painting. His name is scrabbled throughout the piece as well. In image 2, I scrabble the word lonely and alone, as well as altered the representation of social media to show the affect social networking can have on a person. By scrabbling letters in my pieces, I am able communicate my meaning to the viewer; however, the viewer is able to construct his own meaning as well. Using keywords, a variety of colors, and line variation, I transport the viewer into my own little world of abstraction and try to indulge him in a painting he is able to relate to: everything is interconnected in our world. The key is finding the similarities.
Score (on a 6-point scale)6
Rationale for Score
The work in this section demonstrates:
- Coherent integration of the topic within the work presented: A spirited manipulation of space through color has created a variety of responses to the theme and provides a myriad of opportunities for exploration.
- Informed decision making and discovery: Decisions to explore materials, such as nails, string, and forms of wood, have informed the work and further developed the visual progress of the topic.
- Innovative ideas and original vision: In using hands as the subject matter, the student demonstrates the concept of interconnectedness and invites the viewer on a visual journey through a combination words, color and line. The scale of the work is notable.
- An evocative and engaging theme: The use of text is personal to the artist. It supports the concept and composition, and enables a coherence personal narrative.
- Sense of transformation and growth: The series begins at a high level and excellence is sustained throughout. Transformation is noted in the scope and scale of the work, particularly images 9-12, where the student investigates multiples, objects, and installation.
- Technical excellence: With simple materials, the student has created lively surfaces that clearly reflect the original vision of the investigation.