Score (on a 6-point scale)6
Rationale for Score
The work in this section demonstrates:
- An informed investigation of a broad range of visual concepts and compositions. These include working with the illusion of depth (image 1), line quality (images 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11), light and shade (images 1, 7, 12), rendering of form (images 5 and 7), and surface manipulation (image 11).
- Original vision and a variety of innovative ideas. The student combines smoothly rendered form with transparent, gestural figures in image 2, cuts away layers of cardboard to create shadow in image 12, creates a complex self-portrait composed of architecture in image 6, and combines expressive line quality with collage and painted values in image 10. In each case, these decisions strongly support the subject and composition of the drawings.
- Inventive articulation of a broad range of design principles. Examples include balance (image 4), figure ground relationships (images 3 and 12), illusion of depth (images 2 and 5), and unity/variety (image 6).
- The works show a clear sense of confidence through the student’s compositional decisions (image 9), and even the nuanced subtlety of their gestural studies (image 8).
- Technical excellence. The student has developed a high level of success with a wide range of materials including charcoal, ink, colored pencil, oil paint, and acrylic and mixed media.