I wanted to showcase my ability to visually express my emotions. Before I started my concentration, I was making pieces that were good technically, but they didn’t have any meaning to me. I’ve found that I can convey my emotions easier through pictures than through words. Through my art I can express what is unacceptable to express otheriwse.
My concentration demonstrates the exploration of my idea by utilizing a rough, child-like pen stroke to express the confusion and apathy I was feeling at the time. During the time I made these, I felt like I was almost on a separate plane of existence from others. I was experiencing emotions differently than I had before and the childlike feel to the work suggests the fact that my realiry was altered and I had reverted back to a childlike confusion of what was going on. There are also unnatural things going on my my pictures as there were unnatural things going on in my life and my mind at the time.
Score (on a 6-point scale)6
Rationale for Score
The work in this section demonstrates:
- Coherent integration of the topic within the work presented:
- Informed decision making and discovery: line, fluidity of value, and color as emphasis have informed the work and engage the viewer.
- Innovative ideas and original vision with a sense of drama achieved through the dramatic pen strokes and washes of ink.
- An evocative and engaging theme: use of book pages supports the concept and composition.
- Sense of transformation and growth: Although this series starts at a very strong level, transformation and growth can be seen in images that have increasing levels of complexity and explore the use of color. This is noted particularly in images 4, 10, and 11.
- Technical excellence: The work is technically excellent, combining basic materials to create energetic surfaces that clearly reflect the original vision of the investigation and intent of the student.