Score (on a 6-point scale)6
Rationale for Score
In this section:
- A highly successful use of line, volume, repetition, occupied/unoccupied space, texture, color/light is addressed in these formal and conceptual structures.
- All five works exhibit excellent, well-informed decision making and intention.
- The composition of the works (images 3, 4, and 5) is original, imaginative, and inventive.
- The work shows successful engagement with experimentation and/or risk taking in most pieces (images 3, 4, and 5).
- The work as a whole is confident and evocative. It engages the viewer with visual qualities of expressive verve (images 3, 4, and 5) and nuanced subtlety (images 1, 2, 3, and 4).
- Technical competence is excellent. Easily obtainable materials—classroom chairs, baseball bat, wooden sticks, thread, zipper, plaster gauze—are used expressively, and all works are constructed with precision and excellent craftsmanship.
- Appropriated materials such as classroom chairs, circular saw blade, and an old baseball bat are clearly transformed in the service of a larger personal vision.