My concentration is focused around combining and collaging hands to make another world. I am fascinated in fantasy worlds and fictional settings, but to me there is a stark difference between the real world and an impossible world. Since hands are a symbol of connection and an instrument for our interaction with anything, I use hands to link both worlds together. I want to create a world stuck between reality and fantasy so I kept elements familiar to us combined with the strangeness of hands.
In the past, photography was created and known for capturing reality and everyday life. In my images, I want to move away from that traditional viewpoint by constructing a whole new world made out of hands. I started to explore ways of showing snapshots of this different world by creating animals, like the elephant (image 1), or environments, like the girl sitting on the bench (image 3), and develop the idea of this other place in my mind. I wanted to keep some parts of this world familiar to give my world a sense that it could be real, so I have included scenery like clouds or water and other transformed objects. In images 2-5 and 7, I used a combination of clouds and vast expanses of water or fog to include natural settings that could be found in both worlds. In images 9,6,11, and 8 I have transformed a furniture set, a tunnel, a flower, and an entire room into their hand components that are still recognizable as the originals. I want my images to appear realistic enough that people look at what I have created and be able to see themselves standing in the image, so these images are inspired by scenes that could be real, and then I filter them into my new world as hand creations.
Score (on a 6-point scale)6
Rationale for Score
In this section:
- The topic and the work presented are unmistakably and coherently integrated.
- The investigation of the topic provides convincing evidence of informed decision making in all images and discovery and growth in images 5, 6, 10, and 12 in which the foreground, middle ground, and background are fully developed and seamlessly composited.
- The work clearly demonstrates an original vision and innovative ideas in all images and/or risk taking in images 2, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 12, in which natural environments are seamlessly blended with the student’s constructed elements “to give [the] world a sense that it could be real.”
- An evocative and engaging theme is sustained through all of the work. All of the images demonstrate excellent use of 2-D principles.
- The work conveys an excellent sense of successful transformation and growth.
- The work is technically excellent; materials and media are used effectively to express ideas.