Score (on a 6-point scale)5/6
Rationale for Score
This Breadth of predominantly mixed media pieces demonstrates:
- An informed and thoughtful investigation of a broad range of visual concepts and compositions. Sketches (image 10) along with fully developed compositions (image 11) are included along with carefully resolved observational drawings (images 3 and 12). Compositions vary purposefully from piece to piece, for example, interrupted or gridded compositions in images 2 and 11 allows the student to show greater variety within one image.
- An original vision. Risk taking is evident as this student shows a willingness to experiment with different media as well as combining materials in mixed media pieces. The student uses a range of elements and principles of design in work that appears to go beyond classroom assignments and furthermore they suggest a sense of personal vision.
- A broad range of intentions and approaches. This student has pursued a wide range of drawing problems with a variety of materials and techniques. Observational drawing is effectively combined with collage and imaginative renderings.
- Confidence. Overall the work is evocative and engaging. The student is confident with experimental approaches as well as traditional printmaking techniques (image 4 and 6).
- Technical excellence. Excellent technical skills are successfully matched to effectively express ideas. Particularly noteworthy is the attention to surface in images 1 and 8. Both traditional materials (images 3 and 12) and non-traditional materials, such as foil in number 9 and box panel in image 8 are handled with sophistication.