Score (on a 6-point scale)6/6
Rationale for Score
In this breadth section, the student has created a varied series using diverse materials ranging from masking tape to wood to found objects that exhibit varied approaches to 3-D design ranging from smaller sculpted forms to larger pieces that engage with the architectural environment.
The work demonstrates:
• Excellent application of 3-D design principles to a broad range of design problems. Each piece strongly exemplifies a thoughtful application of design principles.
• Original vision and a variety of innovative ideas. This is evident in the combinations of materials, and in the ways that the materials are used to engage space. Creative ideas are successfully executed within a broad articulation of 3-D design principles. For example, repetition and issues of occupied and unoccupied space are particularly found in images 3, 7, and 8.
• A broad range of intentions and approaches. Work includes vessels, installations, and functional pieces in a variety of media.
• Confidence. The level of investigation is quite sophisticated as is evident in the way simple materials are connected to create complex forms and engage 3 dimensional space. As a whole, the eight pieces are evocative and engage the viewer with visual qualities.
• Technical excellence. This student uses a variety of material and techniques in ways that are visually engaging and coherent. The two views of each piece enable the viewer to better understand the work through excellent photography.
• Level of accomplishment. Although there are varying levels of accomplishment, overall the work is at an excellent level.