AP Portfolio Score:5
Rationale for Score
A broad range of drawing issues is clearly exhibited in this breadth section.
In this breadth section:
- The work demonstrates informed investigation of a broad range of visual concepts and resolved compositions. While the image of the bird appears in nearly all the work, the drawing styles and concepts are ever-changing and excellent.
- The drawing concepts that are explored include line quality (images 1, 6); light and shade (images 1, 2, 8, and 9); rendering of form (images 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, and 12); illusion of depth (images 4, 10, and 12); mark making (image 1); surface manipulation (images 5, 6, and 7); and composition (images 1, 5, 6, and 12).
- The work clearly demonstrates original vision, a variety of innovative ideas and/or risk taking, and inventive articulation of a broad range of the elements and principles of design: contrast (image 5); repetition (images 6 and 7); balance (images 4 and 12); emphasis (images 3, 6, 11, and 12); unity/ variety (images 1, 2, 8, and 9).
- The work as a whole is confident and evocative; it engages the viewer with a wide range of visual qualities from bold (images 5 and 6) to subtle (images 2, 3, 4, and 12).
- The work is technically excellent; materials (thread, linen, paper, marker, paint, and charcoal) and processes are used effectively to express ideas.